When it comes to interior design, paint is foundational. It is the blank canvas that all of your other décor ideas will spring from. It’s extremely important for conveying the mood of a room, and can harmonize disparate elements of your home into a contiguous whole. Choosing the right paint is very important! Here’s a bit of Design 101 to get started.
Colors: Brightness, Tone, and Mood
Color is the most important choice you’ll make when selecting a paint, and it’s more complicated than just “oohh, that looks nice.” There are a few things you should consider:
- A dimly lit room will look even more dim with a dark coat of paint, and vice versa…but that may be the mood you’re going for! Which leads us to…
- If a room is meant for quiet, private time, darker colors aren’t a bad idea. Likewise, the family room or kitchen work well with the open, airy mood that comes from light colors.
- Other Spaces. Consider how rooms flow into each other; using different shades or complementary colors gives your home a consistent feel.
Coating and Texture
It’s not just about color; your paint will also have a particular finish. There are three primary types, each with advantages and disadvantages.
- Smooth and almost entirely non-reflective, matte paint is ideal for walls in common areas and bedrooms. The lack of gloss hides imperfections, and it is easy to touch up. However, the lack of sheen also makes them a pain to clean.
- Satin paint reflects light in a smooth, filtered fashion; think a pearl or eggshell with their slightly dull sheen. This makes it easier to clean, but also more susceptible to showing imperfections.
- Because it is so easy to clean, shiny gloss paint is ideal for bathrooms and kids’ rooms. Touching up is difficult because matching gloss is difficult.
Are you looking for a dependable Triangle custom builder to make your custom home a reality? With decades of experience, Tingen Construction is your ideal partner! Whether you want to look at one of our existing floorplans, open listings or design something fully custom, we are ready to help. Contact us today and let’s get started!